LEWISTON, Maine (NEWSnet/AP) — At least 18 people were killed and 13 injured in the Maine mass shooting Wednesday evening, Governor Janet Mills said Thursday.

A man shot and killed the victims at a bowling alley and restaurant in Lewiston and then fled into the night, sparking a massive search by hundreds of officers while frightened residents stayed locked in their homes Thursday under a shelter-in-place advisory.

Mills said the shooting suspect, Robert Card, is considered armed and dangerous. He was described as a firearms instructor believed to be in the U.S. Army Reserve and assigned to a training facility in Saco, Maine.

The document, circulated to law enforcement officials, said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks in the summer of 2023. It did not provide details about his treatment or condition but said Card had reported “hearing voices and threats to shoot up” the military base. 

Maine State Police spokesperson Shannon Moss said the bowling alley shooting happened first at around 7 p.m.

Nearby Bates and Bowdoin colleges canceled classes, as did the Gorham and Portland campuses of the University of Southern Maine.

Copyright 2023 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.