LEWISTON, Maine (NEWSnet/AP) — The man wanted in the mass shooting at a Maine bowling alley and bar that killed 18 people and wounded 13 was found dead Friday, officials said.

Robert Card, 40, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities confirmed in a social media post.

Card had been sought since the Wednesday night shootings, and murder warrants were issued against him.

A bulletin sent to police across the country shortly after the attack said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks this past summer after “hearing voices and threats to shoot up” a military base.

A U.S. official said Card was training with the Army Reserve’s 3rd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment in West Point, New York, when commanders became concerned about him.

Authorities had scoured the woods and hundreds of acres of family-owned property, sent dive teams with sonar to the bottom of a river and scrutinized a possible suicide note Friday in the second day of their intensive search for Card.

Authorities lifted their shelter in place order Friday evening, nearly 48 hours after the shootings.

Copyright 2023 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.