NEW YORK (NEWSnet/AP) —  A New York judge has scheduled an April 15 trial date in Donald Trump’s hush money case.

Judge Juan M. Merchan made the ruling Monday, after having previously agreed to a 30-day delay.

But at Monday's hearing, the judge scolded the former president’s lawyers as he weighed when to reschedule the trial after a last-minute document dump. He seemed unpersuaded by Trump team arguments that prosecutors had until recently concealed tens of thousands of pages of records from a previous federal investigation.

The district attorney’s office says there’s little new material in the trove and no reason for further delay, with prosecutor Matthew Colangelo saying in court Monday that the number of relevant, usable, new documents “is quite small” — around 300 records or fewer.

“We very much disagree,” countered defense lawyer Todd Blanche, as the Trump team sought to dismiss the case or at least pushing it off three months.

“We’re not doing our jobs if we don’t independently review the materials,” Blanche said.

But Merchan seemed unmoved, asking Blanche why the defense team, which subpoenaed for the records in January, didn’t bring up concerns about potentially missing documents weeks earlier.

“Why did you wait until two months before trial? Why didn’t you do it in June or July?” Merchan said.

The hush money case, filed last year by prosecutors in Manhattan over events during the 2016 presidential campaign, is the one pending case against Trump that appears likely to see trial soon.

Follow NEWSnet on Facebook and X platform to get our headlines in your social feeds.

Copyright 2024 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.