BALTIMORE (NEWSnet/AP) - All six workers missing after the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapsed Tuesday are presumed dead, and the search for them is suspended until Wednesday morning.

Roland L. Butler Jr., superintendent for Maryland State Police, said Tuesday evening that the search and rescue mission was transitioning to one of search and recovery.

He said divers would return to the site at 6 a.m. the following day, when challenging overnight conditions are expected to improve.

A prayer vigil for the victims and the community took place earlier in the evening in Baltimore; and Mayor Brandon Scott is among those encouraging area residents who are distressed to seek out a free counseling service.

 

In the meantime, President Joe Biden has promised to seek the support of Congress in providing federal funding for the cost of reconstructing the Key Bridge and support the reopening of the port.

And the City of Baltimore has posted updated truck route maps to assist with rerouting the commercial traffic that normally would use that I-696 bridge.

 

Here's a recap of NEWSnet's on air and online coverage Tuesday:

We will continue to follow this story in the days ahead.

Follow NEWSnet on Facebook and X platform to get our headlines in your social feeds.

Copyright 2024 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.