COPENHAGEN, Denmark (NEWSnet/AP) — Denmark will tax livestock farmers for greenhouse gas emitted by cows, pigs and sheep.

The goal is to reduce Danish greenhouse gas emissions by 70% from 1990 levels by 2030, said Jeppe Bruus, Minister of Taxation.

It’s the first nation to suggest such a standard.

Denmark livestock farmers will be taxed $43 per ton of carbon dioxide equivalent in 2030. The tax will increase to $108 by 2035. Because of an income tax deduction of 60%, the actual cost per ton will start at  $17.30 and increase by 2035.

“We will take a big step closer in becoming climate neutral in 2045,” Bruus said.

Although carbon dioxide typically receives more attention for its role in climate change, methane traps about 87 times more heat within a 20-year time frame, according to U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

About 90% of methane from livestock comes from the way they digest, through fermentation, and is released as burps. Cows produce most of that methane. The remaining 10% of livestock methane comes from manure ponds.

As of June 2022, there were about 1.4 million cows in the nation, according to Statistics Denmark.

Follow NEWSnet on Facebook and X platform to get our headlines in your social feeds.

Copyright 2024 NEWSnet and The Associated Press. All rights reserved.